Reassembling the Engine

Once the engine and its parts were painted, it was then time to begin reassembly!  Not as easy as it sounds, there were a few specific procedures that needed to be done with care.  First was mounting the new head gasket, putting on the head and correctly torquing the head bolts.  Getting the right torque on those bolts, and in the correct order was important.  Unfortunately, when torqing down the bolts much of the new paint came off the bolt heads.  No big deal really, I’ll touch-paint in the end after I’ve re-checked the torque after running.

New Head Gasket on

Head back on, bolts torqued

Head back on, bolts torqued

Next was the rocker arm assembly and push rods.  This step required adjusting the valve clearances, another tricky procedure.  But as with everything else I’ve had to learn, reading the books and finding some good guides online made it pretty damn easy.  This video really helped me visualize the procedure:

Rocker assembly and push rods on, valve clearance adjusted

Rocker assembly and push rods on, valve clearance adjusted

The rest of the assembly was much easier.  Put on new gaskets or o-rings, torque bolts to the manuals specifications.

Fresh Water Pump in place

Intake Manifold, High Pressure Injector lines in place

New Intake Silencer, new fuel and water hoses in place

Nearly fully assembled, front view. Hoses, belt, Alternator, heat exchanger in place

The only remaining items to be put on are new oil and fuel filters, a new breather hose, and the wiring harness.  Once those are complete it will be test run time!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

This entry was posted in Engine, Engine, Restoration and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Reassembling the Engine

  1. Fred Facker says:

    Did you spend the money on the actual Yanmar marine alternator and starter, did you rebuild old ones, or did you just go with eBay generic parts? I spent $250 on a Kubota alternator, but I only spent $80 on an eBay starter. I can’t decide if there’s any difference in the tractor versus marine versus repro.

  2. Allan Smith says:

    What Kind of paint did you use Eric? Just curious as I’m doing work on my Perkins.

    • Erick says:

      Allan,

      I used Dupli-Color paints, they can be found at any auto parts store. I primed with the self-etching primer for max adhesion to the aluminium, and then used the high temperature engine enamel.

  3. Pat says:

    Looks great, nice work. I’ve had great luck with the Dupli-Color high temp engine paints.

  4. Ryan Kieffer says:

    Nice work, sir! I’ve got a Yanmar 3Gm30F in my vancouver 27. I just rewired mine as the original harness (circa 2003) had totally rusted out. Yanmar uses standard “trailor adaptors” and does not use tinned wire in their harnesses, so I just did a custom job. Thought I’d throw this out there, as it looks like you’re not cutting any corners…

    Solid work.

    • Erick says:

      Thanks Ryan! I am hoping the wiring harness will keep going, that is the next step to finalize the engine. If not, I will do a custom job like yourself.

  5. Pingback: The Engine Comes to Life! | The Quest for Wind and Waves

Comments are closed.